Our company was started in 1927 by our grandfather James Edward Hartley. Originally a poultry farm, in Roughlee, under Pendle Hill, close to our current factory.
By the 1950’s we had established ourselves as one of the largest farms in Lancashire. Our products were being sold at Farmers Markets and subsequently from 2 shops in Nelson and Burnley.
The range developed to include cooked meats produced from a small factory attached to the farm. By the 1970’s the farm was closed down to concentrate on the retail side of the business, then being run by son, Ted (our father) and daughter, Dorothy (our aunty) and Annette (our mother).
The business moved forward under our father’s leadership with our grandfather working well into his 80’s. Our purpose-built manufacturing site was opened in 2006 by the present owners, third generation Hartleys- Michael, Richard and Suzanne, with Ted regularly visiting.
The retail business was sold in 2009 to focus solely on manufacturing and has grown from strength to strength developing into a quality cooked meats manufacturer, with a diverse range of clients including, National Food Service Wholesalers, Education catering, NHS, ready meal manufacturers, sandwich makers and supermarket chains.
Designed by Eleanor Wood